Happy Dining & Wine Wednesday! I’m taking a study break in the library to read what the NYTimes dining section has to offer this week and was excited to see a feature on the upcoming ABC show, “The Chew.”
I didn’t know much about the show other than it was to be a a series on food in the style of a talk show with two of my favorite foodies: Mario Batali and Carla Hall (Top Chef). The other 3 hosts are Michael Symon, Clinton Kelly, and Daphne Oz (Dr. Oz’s daughter). All of this had me pretty jazzed - a daytime show about food with real chefs and no Rachel Ray! But after reading Laura Shapiro’s comments in the article, my bubble has burst a bit:
"After watching previews of the show…she noted that it’s two accomplished chefs are both men; that the two women on the show are presented as giddy and lacking authority; and that it’s culinary ambitions are low. Julia Child, she noted, reached a mass audience for years. Her idea was not that you had to candy-coat everything for people, dumb down the food, and have a pajama party in the kitchen."
And now it sounds just like the dreaded Rachel Ray. I can’t say I’m surprised, but it is definitely disappointing. I’m so tired of watching shows targeted for women that have childish, dumbed-down, frivolous female hosts. I’d like to know what male TV execs (I come from the tv world and can guarantee that most of them are male) feel that women like Kathy Lee, Rachel Ray, Wendy Williams and Elizabeth Hasselbeck are good representations of women?
The one thing I disagree with Ms. Shapiro on is that I DO think Carla Hall is an accomplished chef. It’s a shame that due to her gender and her whimsical attitude towards food, she gets lumped into a lesser category with a 25 year old cooking novice and rich kid.
I will likely still try to catch this show now and then, but really, I’m still waiting for the next Julia Child.
- akvichopi likes this
- foodietoo likes this
- sayhellotocindy said: I probably won’t get to see the new show but just want to say that I really like Mario Batali and Carla Hall. :)
- ellegolightly likes this
- sayhellotocindy likes this
- eatingmajor likes this
- streetelf reblogged this from thehonestpalate
- smaller-n-smaller said: I LOVE ALL THOSE PEOPLE! Especially Michael Symon and Clinton Kelly. But I LOVE love love all of them! I also think Carla Hall is an accomplish chef too. Heck she almost won Top Chef, she’s just bubbly, which isn’t a bad thing…
- therabbitoftheemeraldisle reblogged this from thehonestpalate
- therabbitoftheemeraldisle likes this
- smaller-n-smaller likes this
- theelessa likes this
- ericapiper likes this
- thehonestpalate posted this