A Week in Muffins
Life has been taking over lately. School, work, looming and uncertain future plans. There has been little sleep, little exercise, a LOT of episodes of Breaking Bad, many application essays written, and not enough vegetables.
Oddly enough, I did manage to make two different types of muffins. The first, whole wheat pumpkin seed muffins, are not worth discussing. The 2nd muffins - corn - are definitely worth a mention. I used Smitten Kitchen’s recipe, which is obviously why they were so delicious. I made three changes - 5 tsps of sugar instead of 6; apple sauce in place of oil; and a half cup extra corn.
Those corn muffins were served at the American Cancer Society’s Hope Lodge. I am a mentor for the ACS endurance program and I had the opportunity to prepare a meal for the cancer patients housed at Hope Lodge, a free residence for those receiving chemo treatments in the city who do not live nearby. George, my friend Lauren and I prepared vegetarian chili, brown rice, and cornbread and had the chance to chat with some residents and their families. Overall it was quite a meaningful night and best of all I got to wear that cool apron!
Blogging is back this week, so stay tuned.
- iamanewor27 likes this
- ridiculouswayout likes this
- foodietoo said: What a nice thing to do for those patients! there is no photo posted.
- ericapiper likes this
- melissa-ca likes this
- ericadagley likes this
- floridaspecialtyfoods likes this
- willcookforwork said: Oh my goodness! That looks like heaven!
- asharista18 likes this
- yakiraqin likes this
- haygirlhay likes this
- joah09 likes this
- smaller-n-smaller likes this
- plumyummy likes this
- justmemyselfandeveryone reblogged this from thehonestpalate
- bobloblaw likes this
- caseyliz likes this
- confessionsofthefatkidinside likes this
- interwebkinz likes this
- hiluxheroes reblogged this from thehonestpalate
- edatrix likes this
- themuro likes this
- anangelicbeast likes this
- lady88 likes this
- healthylivingforyou likes this
- thehonestpalate posted this