Probiotics & Gluten Free Diet as Treatment for Arthritis
As a postbac premed student, I spend a great deal of time thinking about the kind of medicine I’d one day like to practice. Nutrition and Alternative Medicine are what originally drew me to make a change in my career path, but I’ve quickly realized the challenges faced by those interested in studying the less popular science of Integrative Medicine (a combination of conventional and alternative techniques).
Reading stories like this one, from the NYTimes, reminds me of where I’d like to focus my education. It should be no surprise that a change in diet may be more effective than drugs; after all, we literally are what we eat and what we put into our bodies directly affects our health. Hippocrates said it long ago: “Let food be thy medicine.” When did this sentiment become a thought of a past?
In this article, a 3 year old boy is diagnosed with Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis, and he’s prescribed a drug sometimes used for chemotherapy by a top NYC doctor (a doctor in the same hospital where I intern). The drug has some serious side effects and is not a cure - the boy would have needed to take the drug for the rest of his life. When the boy’s mom suggests alternative medicine and the possibility of treating him via a gluten/diary-free diet and with probiotics, the doctor scoffs. The mother is made to feel embarrassed.
I do not fault this doctor for prescribing a medication that she has likely seen work effectively in dozens of her patients. It does bother me though, that a doctor would not only not be open to alternative treatments, but that they are not even knowledgeable about these methods. Shouldn’t a doctor specializing in one specific category of disease be aware of both the pharmacological and natural treatment plans?
Unfortunately, it is the drug companies who rule our health care system, and grant money to study alternative methods is teeny tiny. I hope this will not be a deterrence for me or others interested in following an unpopular path in medicine, as an alternate route may become all the more necessary in this age of quick-fixes and little blue pills.
- eatcleantraininsaine reblogged this from thehonestpalate
- foodietoo likes this
- greenupearth reblogged this from allthingsearthy and added:
- emsdiazd likes this
- therianthrope24 likes this
- allthingsearthy reblogged this from thehonestpalate
- veritas-roe likes this
- shetalkstobees likes this
- jacjacs likes this
- kaibasgirl likes this
- shemarriedacloud said:Even if doctors choose to ignore these types of dietary treatments, how can they say, “No, don’t eat healthy. That’s crazy. Not worth trying” I don’t understand it.
- wrenandsparrow reblogged this from thehonestpalate
- foster-the-imagination reblogged this from thehonestpalate
- charliethecag likes this
- maddyevancie reblogged this from thehonestpalate
- kwalkz reblogged this from thehonestpalate
- habailey reblogged this from thehonestpalate
- fleuriage likes this
- cosmicpetunias likes this
- 909miles likes this
- valleyd likes this
- oziisme likes this
- adan1love reblogged this from thehonestpalate
- icandyyyy likes this
- mar-see-ah likes this
- wipeyouout likes this
- jacobespinozacia reblogged this from thehonestpalate
- shienna89 likes this
- aflockoffancies likes this
- dinner365 likes this
- kointeur likes this
- katiegirlchasesinfinity likes this
- precariouslydaniel reblogged this from thehonestpalate
- kratlee likes this
- endomental likes this
- everydaywell reblogged this from thehonestpalate and added:
- kquizzo likes this
- haygirlhay likes this
- chrystidoeslife said:In my experience, wife and mom of 3, every different doc any of us has ever seen has scoffed at alternative medicine. All of them. And yet, that’s we’re we find solutions, while our regular docs say “I don’t know”.
- regainingmymoxy said:A childhood friend of mine teaches holistic medicine in CT. Let me know if you’d like me to put you in touch..
- plashyfen likes this
- s00zee likes this
- shoegalhope reblogged this from thehonestpalate
- zone-ish likes this
- xreminiscencex likes this
- old-lady reblogged this from thehonestpalate
- toph3r likes this
- dinadonut reblogged this from thehonestpalate
- dinadonut likes this
- runningbeautiful likes this