I’ve officially lost my mind.
I’ve spent the last few years perfecting my eye-roll, health lecture, and hearty chuckle when people have told me they are starting a juice “cleanse.”
So then why, you may ask, am I starting a 3 day juice cleanse tomorrow?
Desperation, perhaps? Curiosity, for sure.
This semester has been a difficult one. Organic chemistry, biology, orgo lab, MCAT prep.. exercise has become a vague memory, and I’m not sure I remember how to use my stove. Some days its hard to recognize myself, based on my eating/activity patterns.
Last week I had the incredible opportunity to travel to San Diego with a group of physical therapists, researchers and neurologists to present an abstract we worked on together. It was truly a life-changing experience which has made me all the more motivated to get to medical school. But it was also the last straw.
I ate. And ate. Everything. All the cheese.
Don’t get me wrong, I generally eat EVERYTHING. But usually I offset the eating with some exercise, hydration, good nights sleep. But this time I’m tired, my skin is a mess, my stomach hurts, and my body is feeling out of whack.
Last month I read Food is Your Best Medicine, a book written years ago by a doctor who had seen amazing results after treating disease with nutrition, a method I believe in deeply. This book discussed the medical benefits of CAREFUL, MONITORED, BRIEF fasts and cleanses, and for the first time I was questioning my skepticism.
Fast forward to a month later and I decided that I’d give it a try. At least if I really HATE it I can back up my opinion? Maybe I’ll go into hypoglycemic shock? Maybe I’ll feel amazing?
I’m not really sure of anything, except that it’s going to be interesting..
Anyone done a juice “cleanse” and had an amazing or horrifying experience?
- eliseonealtheho reblogged this from thehonestpalate
- krismaperwitasari likes this
- karijetaime said: Haha weird—Nihal, Colin, and I just decided last night to do our own 3-day juice cleanse from a recipe we found. Must be the time of year for nutrition…?
- aoitenshi likes this
- wildfire4653 said: hey there! I actually market blueprint juice at whole foods! i don’t sell the cleanse but i’ve spoken to MANY customers who have done it. they all say it’s pretty awesome. i know a lot about the stand alone juice though if you want some information!
- axiesays likes this
- markham likes this
- unintendeddestination likes this
- stophs likes this
- thecurvygirlchronicles likes this
- styleneversleeps likes this
- regainingmymoxy said: Will be interested to hear what your experience is.
- mrsfitwatcher said: Can’t wait to hear how it goes!
- burnedwater said: i’ve done one, the kaeng raeng. it was awful. and i felt like crap after.
- livveeachdaytothefullest reblogged this from thehonestpalate
- come-at-me-bro96 reblogged this from thehonestpalate
- mellyfromny likes this
- kratlee likes this
- whiskeybentandhellbound likes this
- tonicsaskatoon likes this
- atalantica likes this
- japujoli likes this
- carogetsfit likes this
- koolaid55 reblogged this from thehonestpalate
- haygirlhay said: I had great experiences - my skin looked alive, I slept well, and I felt refreshed. It’s all temporary but a good reboot. I now drink a green juice every day (and also eat, duh).
- digiti-minimi said: Let us know how it goes. My sister swears by cleanses, but I think it’s a bunch of malarkey.
- hothotliketatertot likes this
- monkeychow said: I did a 3 day BP cleanse a year ago and actually enjoyed it. The cashew milk is amazing! Just don’t let yourself get hungry. Drink the juice before that happens. And cancel all plans / be a hermit. You’ll feel good.
- violadaline likes this
- monkeychow likes this
- 94monkeys said: noooooooooooo
- notthathouse likes this
- doyayoda likes this
- pastafagiol said: currently on day 2 of the BPC cleanse… not as bad as you would think but the best advice I received was to eat vegan for a day or two before you start so your body doesn’t go into shock!
- alliegets likes this
- cleverbirds said: Why not try something similar to Brad Pillon’s method of one or two 24 hour fasts per week? It does require great discipline but surely you’ll be putting great stress on your pancreas with all the sugar in the juices with this cleanse.
- dejaliciouss likes this
- b0ss-n00b said: yeah i recently did a week of just juicing to see how it would affect my diabetes compared to my regular diet. Never felt so good in my life, i lost a a bit of weight, I was getting full nights sleep, waking up refreshed, had WAY more energy.
- almostgreenmommy said: You are a brave soul! I hope it goes well.
- boycottlife likes this
- thehonestpalate posted this