Spiraling Quickly Towards Madness: My Experience on a Juice “Cleanse”
Let me preface this by saying I think everyone probably responds differently to fasting and cleansing. I had many responses of great experiences with juice cleansing, and my roommate has nothing but good things to say.
My experience, however, was not positive. In short: I quit my 3 day juice cleanse after 1 day. I’m not sure what I was thinking, and to be honest, I’m feeling pretty silly. I’ve given this a lot of thought now, especially last night during my evening of hunger-induced insomnia. I generally eat every 2 to 3 hours during the day because if not I turn into a hangry monster. I’m not sure why I thought abstaining from food for an entire day (except in juiced veg form) was a good idea. The right thing for me to do would have been switching back to my normal, healthy diet, and forcing some short exercise time into my schedule.
The BluePrint juices have a high sugar content - it probably amounts to more sugar than I intake on a daily basis. Most of the sugar is naturally occurring in the fruit and vegetables in the juice, but sugar is still sugar and my body definitely did not like this new influx of fructose.
I felt okay until around 3pm when hunger, weakness and queasiness took over. I couldn’t focus on my schoolwork, I was grumpy, I was tired, and I was beginning to get a headache. My body was in shock from the sudden change in diet — and there is no way that can be a positive situation. While the goal of a cleanse may be to give your GI tract a break from all the junk you’ve put down there, your other systems still need protein, carbs, and fats to function properly. Especially your brain! My brain was not functioning properly.
After a restless night filled with… I kid you not.. dreams of eating big, fluffy pancakes, I woke up dizzy, weak and nauseous. That was it for me. I didn’t care about all the juice still in my fridge — there was no way I was putting my body through another day of this torture.
Let me point out that meanwhile, my roommate has also been doing the cleanse. And she’s fine. The girl went to SoulCycle this morning. So like I said, everyone responds differently.
Today I kept my food intake light to slowly transition out of the fasting phase - I had fruit, spinach salad, avocado, a slice of wheat bread. I also drank one of the green juices. Tonight I’ll probably drink the cashew juice because it actually is quite tasty. And I’m also ordering some veggie noodle soup from my local vietnamese restaurant because THIS GIRL NEEDS SOME CARBS.
So ends my experiment of juice cleansing. I’ll be reverting back to my original opinion on them, and next time I’m feeling out of sorts I’ll just eat more carrots, less cheese, and lace up my running shoes.
- marijielaruba likes this
- unicornfandancing likes this
- thesapling likes this
- gisette2000 likes this
- youllflyagain likes this
- happyandsadhowcouldthatbe likes this
- measuredwit likes this
- whoopingcranes reblogged this from thehonestpalate
- echo-m likes this
- digiti-minimi said:Glad you figured it out. That stuff is terrible for you! Your body is meant to eat!
- digiti-minimi likes this
- sayhellotocindy likes this
- markham said:Your brain functions on purely glucose though! So that should’ve been fully fed with all of that fructose!
- karijetaime likes this
- karijetaime said:If you’re feeling out of sorts you always eat MORE cheese! Blumen, you know this!!!!!!!
- juniortrainersarah said:Nice to know! I’m at law school crunch time and honestly put on some pounds. But I need to think…so it sounds like it’s back to the gym for me!
- makchai likes this
- asampling likes this
- regainingmymoxy said:Thanks for the update!
- mar-see-ah said:juice cleanses are so bad! I’m glad you quick.
- mar-see-ah likes this
- coldsweathotheadedbeliever likes this
- erotically-sweet likes this
- aflockoffancies likes this
- sandandskyscrapers likes this
- health-time likes this
- ephemeralityy likes this
- food-choice-mcr likes this
- kratlee likes this
- haygirlhay likes this
- brokenrice likes this
- runswithpoodles likes this
- thethrillofsage likes this
- monkeychow likes this
- runningtowardshappyness said:This is exactly why I don’t do juice cleanses and why I do exactly what you’re doing now; chalk it up to a bad couple of days and start to adjust my diet asap. Good try though! :)
- runningtowardshappyness likes this
- jenlovinglife likes this
- jimicowan likes this
- the--kel--smith likes this
- melissadiamonds likes this
- tenderass likes this
- almostgreenmommy said:I’m pretty sure this is exactly how my experience would go lol you poor thing!!!!
- ellegolightly likes this
- thehonestpalate posted this